Thursday, May 3, 2012

Current Obsession: The Pixie Haircut

Since I was 13, I have had short hair on and off. Cutting all my hair off the summer before 8th grade was scandalous. At a time when young girls were trying to find themselves and hide behind makeup, I desperately wanted to stand out and be different. I wore glow in the dark zebra converse while my classmates wore the ultra cool L.A. Gear sneakers. Cutting all of my hair off was a bit traumatic. I saved my ponytail in a bag for almost 4 years, but I loved it. This may have a lot to do with my NKOTB obsession - my haircut inspiration was Donnie Wahlberg. Yes, I did have a rat tail. Yes, it was awesome.

Over the last twenty years, I have let my hair grow and cut it off again about 5 more times. Each time, I go back to the pixie cut. In my opinion this is the best haircut on the planet. It shows off beautiful features like big eyes. It flatters many face shapes and takes ZERO time to style in the morning. Got Bedhead? Good, because the pixie cut looks awesome when it is messy. I loved being able to jump out of bed, throw some pomade on my hair, run my fingers thru it and leave.

Right now, my hair is past the middle of my back. Everyone loves it - except me (and maybe my husband). My sister begs me not to cut it. My mother tells me how nice it looks. I do not think my hair has ever been this long and I am truly bored with it and tired of brushing out knots. Short hair is not for everyone. It takes guts. There were many times I was told when I had short hair that I had guts/balls/moxie, but I just felt liberated. I want to feel that way again!

Emma Watson, Ginnifer Goodwin & Michelle Williams (photo found on Zimbio.com)
Victoria Beckham, Winona Ryder & Kiera Knightley (photo found on Zimbio.com)

Carey Mulligan is my current pixie inspiration (Sorry Donnie!)

Has there ever been a more beautiful woman? Audrey rocked the pixie like no other

2 comments:

  1. I think it is your hair and you should do whatever you want, I say go for it, it will look fabulous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. It is happening very soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete