Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Anyone care to take bets on how long it will take me to breakdown?

Today is Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent. Each year, I usually give up peanut butter and cry for 40 days because I miss the one thing I truly enjoy eating. My go to dinner of peanut butter and jelly is usually replaced with cereal (yes, I am this unhealthy people!). This year I decided to give up something that I am addicted to - shopping.
Most people like to shop. Some people only shop when they have to do it. I shop almost on a daily basis. I shop like I am super rich and have a never-ending well of money. I like nice things and sometimes buy designer clothing, shoes and bags that I know I cannot afford. However, no store or item is off limits - I am an equal opportunity shopper. At work, I go to Family Dollar on my lunch hour. Before school, I will make pit stops at The Gap, Sephora, Old Navy, Macy’s or H&M. I drag my husband to Target at least once a week. I have an addiction. The Etsy and Ebay mobile apps have helped to put me in serious debt. Online shopping is so simple and quick - I don’t even have to leave the house and no one sees me buying things, so most of the time, I can hide it.

I have known for sometime that I need to curb my shopping problem. I always say I will, but never actually accomplish it. So, this year for Lent, I will go without shopping (minus food shopping which my husband tells me is a necessity). I hope I can handle it. I wonder what the withdrawal symptoms will feel like. In the end, I hope to be able to pay a small chunk of my debt off, but I also hope I feel like I did something good for myself and to honor the meaning of the Lent/Easter.

1 comment:

  1. Stay strong! I'm sure your credit card and bank account thank you.

    ReplyDelete