Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Summer Reading List

I am the first to admit this - I am a nerd. I love to read. Actually, I prefer it to almost anything else (anything except shopping). Each year before school ended for Summer break, we would get a list of books to read for the next school year. Most people groaned. I was happy. New books! I have continued on with my own personal summer reading list each year. Last year, I completed the Modern Library's 100 Best Novels. No, I was not a shut in. I had read a good chunk of them over the years, so I was able to finish up the list without spending my entire summer with my nose in  a book. This year, I picked a mix of books to satisfy all of my interests. There is some YA, classics, short stories, fiction, biography, art and fashion. Please note: Mr. Grey did not make the cut. Sorry ladies!

The Kissing List -  A series of interlocking stories about the love lives of several women.

Available here

The Great Gatsby - I have read this many times before, but I have to get in one more reading before the movie comes out. Plus, this book is the perfect go to for fashion ideas and inspiration. The costumes in the upcoming movie version are going to have a huge impact on the fashion world.

Available here

The Year of the Gadfly - The basic description of this book grabbed me right away - A young news reporter communicates with the ghost of Edward R. Murrow and investigates a secret society at a New England prep school. It seems like it will be full of mystery and silliness.


Available here


Advanced Style -  My friend and I joke around about something we like to call "granny style." The ability to mix and match fashion as an elderly woman fascinates me and I am constantly trying to understand how some women can mix sequins with polka dots and look amazing. I can only hope to be as fashionable and glamorous as some of the elderly women I see walking in NYC. This book will serve as an inspiration for my twilight years.
Available here

The Paris Wife - This novel the story of Ernest Hemingway, his "starter wife" Hadley and their life in Paris. As the book unfolds, we see that life during the Jazz Age in Paris might not be meant for a young couple starting out.
Available here

Frida: A Biography of Frida Khalo - Khalo's work and life have always intrigues me. I hope to learn more about her creative process, how she handled her heartache and physical pain and what inspired her.

Available here


Coco Chanel: An Intimate Life - This controversial biography mentions Chanel's drug use, lesbian affairs and German lover during World War II. Intrigued yet? No other designer had as much influence in women's fashion as Chanel and this book gives an in-depth look into her personal and business life.

Available here


The Innocents - Adam and Rachel have been dating for twelve years and are about to be married, but all of that changes when Rachel's cousin, comes to town.

Available here



The Best American Short Stories 2012 - This collection of short stories features a wide variety of new writers, acclaimed authors and everyone in between. This year's collection is said to feature stories that represent what is going on in the world today.

Available here


Flirting in Italian - Four young girls experience all the Italy has to offer - cute boys, ancient art and beautiful surroundings - along with uncovering a family mystery.

Available here

No comments:

Post a Comment